Mill
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Why I call myself Hetetic
Topic Tags:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mill Vexations Forum Index -> Religion and Philosophy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heretic Zed

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Why I call myself Hetetic Reply with quote

I’m in a mood for getting in depth into my personal ideologies and bringing you all along for a romp inside my headspace, Come along, it’ll be fun!

First and foremost, I believe in Jesus Christ, that he was a factual person and that he was the son of got given to be sacrificed by those he came to save. I believe he died on a cross and rose again on the third day, I believe that faith in Christ is the one and only way to heaven. But really that’s not what I’m in this for, sure eternal bliss would be nice, but what I want is to be able to stand face to face with god at the end of my life and pull out the list of questions, because what I want is to understand. Knowing that I’ll never be able to find all the answers in this life, I’m planning ahead to see if I can get them in the next.

Still, all of this seems fairly standard Christian right? So why call myself a Heretic?

I’ll start with this, Jesus was considered a Heretic by the establishment of his time, he was a radical, he shook things up with new ideas about kindness, forgiveness and compassion. He didn’t have centuries of established history, countless scholars or a ridiculously large number of dead saints baking him up. He had twelve guys he picked up from different walks of life.

At the start, churches were just people gathering together at any old place, sermons were more open and participants actively commented and asked questions of the church leaders. They weren’t these towing an expensive monuments to ego with a single speaker standing prominently at the front speaking for nearly an hour.

I like the original church format better.

My old church in Ontario tried bringing in some of these open elements, that’s probably why I liked it so much. None of the churches in Alberta to anything of the sort from what I can find. I don’t exactly fit in out here.

Anyway, it shouldn’t be about pushing religion on anyone, it started out as just sitting down and talking about beliefs. Tell me what you believe so I can understand you and I’ll share what I believe so you can understand me. Christians are called to show love and friendship to everyone, how can we do that without understanding each other? We are commanded to spread the word, not force people to believe it. Faith comes down to a choice between the individual and God, nobody can make it for them. All I can to is tell them about it.

Because I believe in all this, I am dissatisfied with the church as it is in our world. I’m supposed to follow the example of Christ, not sit quietly in the service, stand when everyone else stands, sit when they sit and read along. Christ was a heretic in his time, boldly challenging the world around him with love. He was daring and ballsy.

That’s the Christ I want to follow. And so, in order to be a Christian, I chose to be a Heretic.
jorwyn
The Other Meow

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can go with that.

I've got a few questions of my own. I just realize I don't really need them answered, either. I'm okay with it either way.

I think religions would do much better in the format you describe. I hope you get your wish and they become that again someday. I hope those future churches also remember that women are people and just as worth of respect as men. That's something you should be a heretic about. Smile

Communal groups are good... They are good for each other and they are good for society. Authoritarian groups are not. They don't teach people to think. They only teach people certain rote types of behavior. Religious experience isn't bad. It draws us together as humans... but I think your format would draw people together in a way they could actually learn. I applaud that. If I wasn't such a cynic, I'd say this in a nicer tone: Good luck with that. The very sheep you wish to change will fight you to the end.

Then again, that is what it means to be a heretic. *wink*
Heretic Zed

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason the bible calls humans sheep is because there are no lemmings in Jerusalem. Razz
Kytsune
Our Elven Kin

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original church format was a community center. Akin to city hall meetings but less formal, a place for people to gather and be communal, to argue their philosophy, and spread their memes. It also focused the neighborhood into a collective celebration. This is something that is severely lacking in the bedroom city urban sprawl, trapped betwixt an hour commute into the city and the steel-and-glass towers that shroud mirrored eyes.

This is why I like the Ave so much.

We live in an era without a towne square; we have no place to commingle, to exchange ideas, to become an open discussion of our society, and meet people. We have specially diverged studios and venues that cater to only one theme or thought, that make money by gating their entrances and fleecing the incomers of money. Yes, I’m snubbing even Goth clubs with that statement. College campuses have done a good job of promoting this sort of gathering, but they’re not quite enough, because the hot place to be on a Saturday is still in a pub and Sunday in bed.

The best thing for people is other people. We don’t need crowds to do that. We just need some sort of social focus.

And I like that particular “heresy.” The idea that some people are “inside” and everyone else is “out” is one of the major divisors of all persons in this world to this day. A person need not give up religious/cultural/ethnic identity in order to love other people and find treasure their company.

(Ignoring, of course, my friends who’d rather be hermits.)

In conclusion: lemurs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mill Vexations Forum Index -> Religion and Philosophy All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: