Mill
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Webdevil Article on Mill Ave Homeless Kids
Topic Tags:

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vex Harrow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Webdevil Article on Mill Ave Homeless Kids Reply with quote

Stumbling around the Internet I came across an article on Webdevil about Mill Ave’s homeless population. The thing that instantly caught my attention was that I happen to know one of the people in the photograph that accompanied the article. I’m pretty sure that’s my Mill rat friend Wraith.
Tempe's young homeless are a staple of the downtown area. This loose-knit community of outcasts, rebels and train-hoppers operates on the fringes of mainstream society.

A man who calls himself Lost, a 22-year-old wearing a patched blazer and a weathered bandana around his neck, has been on the road since he was 12.

"There's a lot of us out here who are very wise and know a lot of shit," he said. "But we get looked over for who we are."

Lost is homeless because he saw himself getting locked into a system that he didn't want to be a part of, he said.
I personally don’t know Lost, but he is certainly indicative of my favorite slice of the Mill Ave street rat culture. Vulgar, street smart, and young – seems to be what ties a lot of them together. A generation of against-the-odds, nomadic, jetty waifs who flock together with the constantly changing community of college students and Scottsdale kids slumming the Ave. A sight that I think that will increase somewhat when the night wears on and the lake continues to become further built up around the edges.

The Mill rats and the like who actually enjoy the Ave as a place where culture happens are exactly the audience that I both aim Vexations at and try to inform other readers about the goings-on there. Certainly, a lot of the stories take place in greater Phoenix Metro, but I do try my best to bring the main story always back to Mill.

Back to the Ave.

If nothing else, I can create a blended narrative snapshot of the currency that is Mill culture. Something to compare with future generations who take to the streets and see different buildings, know different people, and probably know a different life. I doubt that Vexations will exactly be timeless or anything, but I do hope to have some impact on the future, if not just the here-and-now.

Adieu for now, Vex Harrow.

Last edited by Vex Harrow on Fri May 11, 2007 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
uropian

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Gratitude Forum! Reply with quote

Nor can Mehtap! I want to say that your site better throughout the World Wide Web Smile
Thank you. Keep it.
Vex Harrow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mill Vexations Forum Index -> Vexations News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: