Mill
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Vexations Seasons : Winter
Topic Tags:

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vex Harrow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Vexations Seasons : Winter Reply with quote

“I don’t mind,” the woman says. “I figure I could use some company.”

The trees of Mill glitter in the twilight as if covered with tendrils of ice, but really it’s just the strings of lights. The nights get cold enough to redden noses and ears, and chase the desert creatures into their holes. Sometimes the temperatures hover just above freezing, but it doesn’t really get that cold except out in the untamed desert wastes.

You notice that the woman’s clothing seems odd, out of place almost. As if she walked out of a noir film from the 60’s. Black and white and full of inscrutable wit. Though aged and prim, in her you can see the sultry damsel of her youth. With bright red lips and close clipped hair she pushes through the door that reads DETECTIVE to plead her case to a taciturn gumshoe.

She catches you watching and smiles.

“And I thought you kids had lost your manners these days.” She pats your leg with a grandmotherly hand. A comforting gesture. “Running riot—wild in the streets—escaping your keepers in a moment’s weakness…”

A bitter wind bites into your forearms and you tug the sleeves of your hoodie. It may not snow in Phoenix, but today certainly feels like it should.

“Aren’t you cold?” you ask. But she only smiles and thanks you for your consideration.

---

Next: Spring

Previous: Autumn

---

Winter of Mill Avenue Vexations Seasons © Kyt Dotson 2007, illustration © Sanjana Baijnath 2007. This is part of a series of images and flash fiction stories connected to the seasons of Tempe. Clicking on the image will give you a high resolution print format.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mill Vexations Forum Index -> Vexations News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: