Mill
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Vex Harrow in Twilight and Thorns
Topic Tags:

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vex Harrow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Vex Harrow in Twilight and Thorns Reply with quote

This weekend, Saturday December 1st, an e-book will be published with a story featuring Vex Harrow: "Step On It" by Kyt Dotson. In Twilight and Thorns, a horror anthology by Circle Dark Publishing.

The story is exclusively available in this e-book at this time and for those who would like to read it you will have to purchase it. When publication info becomes available we will update everyone.

Circle Dark Publishing is run by a wonderful crew, two of whom Kyt has been in contact with about the sale and publication of the story. Sabrina Hunt and Heidi McVay.

"Step On It" is a canonical Vexations story that depicts Vex Harrow in her element—of course, her taxi cab—encountering some of the more interesting supernatural phenomena that Phoenix has to offer. Anyone who has taken to the streets of a big city would be able to empathize with; as well, people from the Valley may be able to see their own city reflected in her rear-view mirror.

I for one am really looking forward to this publication. It is the first Vexations story in a professional venue.

Edit: The Twilight and Thorns e-book is now available for purchase.

Last edited by Vex Harrow on Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:54 pm; edited 3 times in total
jorwyn
The Other Meow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Congratulations Reply with quote

Yay, Kyt! You so deserve to be published.
This is so awesome...
and even though I have already read the story, 'cause I'm special like that, I am going to have to get this eBook!
The cover is pretty, too. Very Happy
ocbnqfosjjldzjpl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Dead Goths. Reply with quote

Hack again?!
Vex Harrow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Dead Goths. Reply with quote

ocbnqfosjjldzjpl wrote:
Hack again?!

No... Unless you're referring to taxi driving.
Mark
Tourist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: keep us posted Reply with quote

I'm very much interested in getting a physical copy of this book please do keep us all posted on when this will be published as I'd rather have it that way than as an ebook. Kudos on getting in this book with all your hard work you certainly deserve the recognition, good going Kyt!
CDPSabrina

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: E-Books versus Print Reply with quote

For the person who said they'd rather buy it in print:

I understand where you're coming from, but the unfortunate reality that a lot of readers don't realize is that without e-book sales, there will be no printed copies of these books. Most internet-based publishers of e-books require an e-book to sell so many copies (usually a couple hundred) before they can afford to take the risk of releasing it in print. Most e-books never make the cut, because people refuse to buy them, thinking "I'll just get it when it comes out in print."

CDP does not plan to operate this way. However, we are only two people running a small business out of our own pockets. We are not a corporation. One of us is a Navy wife, the other works at a state hospital for state wages. We are not getting paid to run CDP; we do it because we are also published authors (and that doesn't make us rich, either), and we know how frustrating dealing with publishing companies can be for authors. We wanted to create something different, and something better.

We do plan to open a print division. We plan to offer every author the chance to publish in print as well as or instead of in e-book format. Right now, though, we can't afford the printing costs. If you'd like to see our books in print someday, then you'll have to help us out now by buying the e-books. Every $5.95 goes towards that dream of a print division.

I was not a fan of e-books myself. Having friends who publish through e-books, and co-owning CDP has opened me up, though. Now I know how it works, so I support my friends by purchasing their e-books. Then I print them out, take them to Kinko's and get them bound for less than $10. It's a compromise. The author gets paid, my purchase is one more toward the eventual print release, AND I get a printed copy to actually read.

So, please consider buying the e-book?

Thank you.

Sabrina Hunt
Co-Owner
Circle Dark Publishing
Vex Harrow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sabrina brings up some good points that I've been telling people in person, but I just forgot to post them here.

So I'm going to hilight them:

(1) You can print out e-books and make them into printed works. Yes, do it. If you want a physical copy, you essentially have bought the blueprints for it.

(2) You won't be able to read this Vexations story anywhere else. If you want to read "Step On It," purchase the e-book (also, I should mention, I have been reading the e-book and it has other awesome stories in it.)

(3) It is more likely to go into print if people buy the e-book. By buying the e-book you lend capital to the people who have published it electronically, this gives them greater leverage to make print versions.

And, finally, because it's not exactly a point -- it's more of a this-is-about-me message -- if you buy the e-book you support me as an author and you support the very idea of literature through making it possible for more stories to be published in this fashion in the future.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mill Vexations Forum Index -> Vexations News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: