Mill
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Suspicious package detonated by police at bus station
Topic Tags:

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vex Harrow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Suspicious package detonated by police at bus station Reply with quote

Looks like we had a very fun day out there around the Light Rail station.

1:09 p.m.: A bomb squad detonated a suitcase-like package found at the Tempe Transportation Center Tuesday morning near Veterans Way and College Avenue, police reported.
The light rail station at the transportation center was shut down soon after the package was discovered at about 9:30 a.m. Trains were initially allowed to run through the station, but not allowed to stop, said Hilary Foose, spokeswoman for Metro light rail.
At around 10:30 a.m., trains were not allowed to pass through the station, she said.

The diversion pushed passengers off at the Mill Avenue station and they had to use a bus to get around the affected closures.

Didn't think this sort of thing might happen around Tempe, really, we're hardly the sort of community that supports mad bombers. Right now I imagine that someone's unmentionables are right now flittering in the breeze through Tempe's skies in tatters after being blown to smithereens. After the suitcase was detonated by police it was determined there were no bomb components and the light rail station was unblocked.

I wonder what exact criteria makes a forgotten package suspicious. I guess people don't take suitcases with them very often on the bus?
Jack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I see people with suitcases on the light rail all the time - some people carry their textbooks in one, and a fair number of people take the light rail to and from the airport.
Vex Harrow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack wrote:
Actually, I see people with suitcases on the light rail all the time - some people carry their textbooks in one, and a fair number of people take the light rail to and from the airport.

I agree.

I should have put a sarcasm tag on my last sentence. It strikes me that what makes packages suspicious isn't their form or availability but their location. I am taken aback mostly because Tempe isn't well known for bombs of any sort and suitcases aren't an uncommon thing for buses.

It's a risk-reward problem. Does blowing up someone's forgotten suitcase and shutting down the light rail for four/five hours match the possibility of some forgotten luggage being a bomb? I do accept better-safe-than-sorry and I suppose if forgotten luggage is rare...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mill Vexations Forum Index -> Vexations News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: