Mill
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Shooting on Mill Ave
Topic Tags:

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vex Harrow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Shooting on Mill Ave Reply with quote

While I strive not to be totally a news blog, some things that happen on the Ave just need to get mentioned. Especially in sight of those who might want to come visit. Violence is a problem that infests every level of our society, but it is not something that actually blights Mill Ave except on rare occasion.

It happened at about 2 a.m., as people were leaving the bars in the area of Fifth Street and Mill Avenue.

According to police, three or four shots were fired after a fight between two groups of people.

One man was hit in the leg. He was taken to the hospital and reportedly is in stable condition.

Just to make sure everyone knew, even the article on AZFamily wanted to point out:

Investigators said this kind of violence is rare for the area.

"We'll have some activity with folks who drink a little bit too much and might get into an altercation or a fight," said Lt. Vince Bourbon of the Tempe Police Department. "But rarely do we have someone actually who will pull out a weapon and shoot someone. So, this is extremely rare."

Someone with poor weapon discipline decided to make a night of it. This isn’t just extremely rare—it’s almost unheard of. Although there have been some past bad incidents with the police on Mill Avenue, there haven’t really been reports of shootings nigh on years now.

Just be more responsible when you’re partying out there. You get me. Get too drunk and call a cab like mine and we’ll ferry you safely home.

Link, via Azfamily.com.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I heard once that in Texas, where you don't need a special permit to carry a concealed weapon, it's customary to check your weapon at the bar. I wonder if that would help... But, I guess this was after they left the bar anyway.
Vex Harrow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Wow. I heard once that in Texas, where you don't need a special permit to carry a concealed weapon, it's customary to check your weapon at the bar. I wonder if that would help... But, I guess this was after they left the bar anyway.

CCW licenses, even in Arizona, do not cover concealed carry in any establishment that serves alcohol -- probably because of this possibility.

Interestingly, Phoenix culture is not familiar enough with guns that bars would have any way to check them. People do stare funny at people who open carry, and although the police certainly open carry, normal citizens aren't seen that way.

Outside, further into the desert, this changes a great deal. We do still have some of the more Old West traditions outside of the strange oasis that is Phoenix Metro.
the victim

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crazy thing is i was one of the me in the altercation that night. I got shot at and was treated like i shot my friend. i have to go through the court process over a intimidated police officer. I was charged with not identifying myself to the police. Funny thing is i had my wallet in my pocket and was cooperative. I guess since they didnt do their job and catch the people who really commited the violence, i was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Vex Harrow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the victim wrote:
The crazy thing is i was one of the me in the altercation that night. I got shot at and was treated like i shot my friend. i have to go through the court process over a intimidated police officer. I was charged with not identifying myself to the police. Funny thing is i had my wallet in my pocket and was cooperative. I guess since they didnt do their job and catch the people who really commited the violence, i was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

That's just butt stupid.

It strikes me that any reasonable DA would look at, "Did not identify self to police," and "victim of a shooting," and think that one through -- how many people who have just been shot can think straight to properly identify themselves?

This is why paramedics and police do sometimes go through a person's wallet to get their identifying information if they're altered or unconscious. Being shot has got to be an altering experience. What a sham they're pulling.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mill Vexations Forum Index -> Vexations News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: