Mill
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Places: Coffee Planation
Topic Tags:

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vex Harrow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Places: Coffee Planation Reply with quote

Where:

680 S Mill Ave Ste 101
Tempe, AZ 85281
(480) 829-7878

What:

Coffee Plant is one of the longest standing commercial coffee places and hang-outs for a lot of visitors to the Ave—it is not, however, “Where the world meets.” They may print that on their receipts, but if thou want to meet anyone important, go hang out at Graffiti.

The management has changed hands a few times and they don’t exactly have the best track record of treating people as they should. Coffee Plant has come under fire from multiple angles for mistreating street kids and college students alike. The law of diminishing returns also suggests that their failing business is probably because of foolish mistreatment of their clientele coupled with the rise of a Starbucks on a corner not that far away.

They still remain my favorite as a grungy alternative to highly commercialized coffee houses—like Starbucks. Highlighted as the wreckage of itself, Coffee Plantation appears in the prelude of Mill Avenue Vexations Volume 1. And, for those who manage to visit it before it’s soon-slated urban demolition (rather than demonic demolition) sometime in 2008-2009, Vex Harrow can be found sipping peppermint hot cocoa on their patio in the moonlight during cold desert nights.
jorwyn
The Other Meow

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another store bites the dust, eh?
That's sad in a way, but an interesting coincidence given the prelude.

I miss Java Road (before the evil lights went in.) .. Coffee Plant seems new to me, rather than old. They weren't grungy then, either.
Strange how things change after we leave them.

Do they still do live acoustic music out back/off to the side, and chase pedestrians away if they stop to listen? I used to be annoyed and amused by that at the same time.

If I ever manage to get back, I won't even recognize Mill, will I?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mill Vexations Forum Index -> The Ave All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: