Mill
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Mesa Legend Posts an Article on Mill Ave Street Music
Topic Tags:

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vex Harrow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Mesa Legend Posts an Article on Mill Ave Street Music Reply with quote

Found an article on Mesa Legend about Mill Ave’s musical accompaniment, “Street musicians provide soundtrack to Mill Avenue”. The article is a bit short, but quite wonderful to see people paying attention. They picked out three musicians of varying Mill fame, so I’m going to note at least one of them here.
Bing, a jazz and blues guitarist, showed off his machine gun style guitar skills on the corner of Mill and Seventh street.

He said his ability to play well came from his past.

"My parents used to lock me in a room (to) learn how to play. I had to back them up. My parents were tap dancers," said Bing.

That’s Bing. He’s been on Mill Ave for quite some time now; I’ve listened to his music on the corner many Friday and Saturday nights. I am used to seeing him on the same corner with the deaf girl who sells jewelry and trinkets and the other vendor who offers wax roses.

The article also mentions two others who haven’t really gone very far in Mill fandom or fame: Gabriel—a guitarist cum harmonica player—and the band Buckwheat, Porky, and Pickles. Certainly interesting fellows, but they haven’t been around as long as I’d expect most of the open-air players on Mill Ave.

The article does a good job of totally leaving out Papa Soul and several others who have been around for quite a bit longer than anyone else. Perhaps they’ll be able to go back at some point and get a better documentary slice of the Ave’s music. I am surprised that Papa Soul didn’t make the cut, but perhaps the journalists just didn’t make it to Mill the right days.

Expect me to fill that in one of these days.

Link, via Mesa Legend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mill Vexations Forum Index -> Vexations News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: