Mill
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Happycabbie, Terry Jones and a taxi in New York
Topic Tags:

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vex Harrow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Happycabbie, Terry Jones and a taxi in New York Reply with quote

I don't know how many American Muslims drive taxi cabs in New York City, but I can certainly say that if Terry Jones got into my cab, I'd have words for him.

This is right on the heels of a crime last month when Michael Enright got into a cab and allegedly stabbed a cab driver for being Muslim (see the article in The Huffington Post). Whomever he gets to drive his sorry ass around the Big Apple, I hope that he tips them well; it may take them a long time to scrub the seething out of the upholstery. I’d probably be hard pressed to not punch this man in the mouth.

Terry Jones is a hamfisted shock operator who wants only to garner attention for himself and his powerful anti-Islamic bias, he has kitch, books, and an entire ideology to sell, and the American media has been feeding him shovelfuls of attention.

He's done little to foster any sort of bridge between him, his church and even the community that he lives among in Florida.

Minority drivers have been the backbone of the industry for a very long time now, and Muslims are no exception. It’s a powerful mechanism, the taxi service, people need to get places and they’re willing to pay for it. Livery, gypsy, limousine, the fine art of getting from place to place in highly trafficked and packed locales such as New York is a rather dismissed and much maligned craft—but it still takes an amazing amount of skill.

I know, I’ve been doing it for long enough.

Even if these people weren’t my brothers and sisters in trade, they’re still my kin as part of humanity. The people building the Park51--so called “Ground Zero Mosque”-- Community Center Near Ground Zero don’t deserve to be threatened with “we’ll burn your holy books if you don’t move it.” What kind of stupid blackmail is that? Threatening to act like a flaming jackass just to be a jackass in order to force someone to do something? Burn your books—they can build their whatever-it-might be where they’ve been granted the legal stay to do so.

Write a blog like the rest of us. Read a book, Mr. Jones.

I’ll expect the fare from flag drop to destination, and after that you can go on your way. Your money may be green, but your manner disgusts me.

This is Vex Harrow, cab #264 Victor-Echo out. I'll see you guys on the street. Keep it surreal everyone.

Link, via Happycabbie @ Twitter.
Poettyobexy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suck coz I only appear to be able to think of one joke and one joke alone...

Why did the plane crash into the house????

COZ THE LANDING LIGHT WAS ON!!
Vex Harrow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that more of a British slang? In the US we'd call it the porch, but few people will know that a "landing" is an area at the top or bottom of a staircase--few people would refer to this in relation to a house.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mill Vexations Forum Index -> Vexations News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: