Mill
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Flagstone Sittah? No, Not Anymore

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vex Harrow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Flagstone Sittah? No, Not Anymore Reply with quote

Since Osiris surprised me recently by telling me recently that people actually read my blog because I deliver Mill Ave news. And here I thought it was my exploits and rants. I figure that I’ll mix in some news with my rant today.

No more sitting on the flagstones that extend from Tempe Town Hall. These are those unevenly spaced, sandstone blocks that march out of the drying grass and break up the desert landscaping around the upside-down pyramid. At least, this is what the cops want to tell us.

It’s Saint Patrick’s Day and bicycle police would like to let us all know that since the Town Hall is closed we are not permitted on, or near the grounds, even when the flagstones extend into what is the park area. After asking exactly when the Town Hall closed (so I could tell up ‘til when I could be sitting there) I was told, “It closes about six or seven P.M. and we’re moving people away because we have a bit of a problem with trash.”

Right. Trash.

I feel really bad for these officers who are coming around and ushering people away from the flagstones for such a total jack reason. Of course, they are just following policy orders handed down to them, and I’m not about to expect that a single one of them actually cares. It’s their job to do as they’re directed—but these pawns in the War on Culture are not unwitting.

I’m never certain exactly who is really in charge up there, but if you would please stop wasting the time of our peace officers by giving them such bullshit assignments, I would appreciate it. It’s St. Patrick’s Day and there’s more drunk people on the street than ever, people are driving recklessly, the paddy wagon is out, watchful eyes are patrolling the streets keeping the citizens safe and, for some politico asshat’s hard-on, six of those eyes are being taken away from doing something actually useful to protect the very edges of Town Hall from litter.

I suppose we’ll see if this harassment continues next weekend.

It could be that so many cops had been put on the street because of the festivities someone figured that sending some of them to thumbscrew the drum circle’s celebrants would be a good idea.

Also, guys, if people are actually leaving trash near Town Hall or at the circle—and far be it from me to accuse anyone of that when I know that when they started exiling us we would all clear out the refuse to make a point—please think twice about it. Everyone knows this “reason” is pure jack-bullshit because for the most part we are there and I for one know that we like the area clean.

If someone wants to make the excuse that people deserve to be pushed around because of imaginary litter; the best we can do is to keep the high ground in knowing that we’re not the cause.
Kytsune
Our Elven Kin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to add my own thanks to everyone that night who didn't pick a fight with the bike officers who were coming 'round.

Irritation at some of the things that the city has been impressing upon all of us has been running a little high, I know, but a little bit of decorum goes a long way.

I appreciate everyone who comes out there, especially because in between those shadows, tuckt again betwixt those sandstone walls, in the beat of our drums, and the song of our voices -- thou art the rakish romance of the Ave.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mill Vexations Forum Index -> Vexations News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: