Mill
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Brother Jed at ASU
Topic Tags:

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vex Harrow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Brother Jed at ASU Reply with quote

The week is boiling away, and the crazy has rolled around to our campus again. He has been here since Monday, and Thursday likely will be his last day to make the rounds.

I have been setting up on the fringes of the group the last few days to get my earful, not of Jed, but of the crowds that form from the effervescent froth of humanity that makes the college. His arrival is like a wound and all the immune system of the campus emerges in force to surround and contain the intruder. They bring with them no small amount of entertainment.

Why mock Brother Jed?

Castigat ridendo mores.
“Correct customs by laughing at them.” Brother Jed and his carnival of fearmongers represent a long line of terrible customs that are faltering. The behavior of his troupe is not only absurd, backward, ignorant, and vitriolic – it's mind numbing and repugnant.

It is good that people react with revulsion and disgust at this hatemongering.

It is good that people come together, forge new relationships, and embrace one another in the face of this misbehavior.

It is wonderful that together we can laugh and – even while in poor parody, Brother Jed and his absurd circus condemn us as hating one another – find love and wonder in our rejection of this backwards morality that preaches irresponsibility and the neglect of the human spirit.

Everyone should know by now that I’m whimsically pagan at heart and I like pixies. So I have this to offer. Want a fairy tale worth keeping? In that grand spirit of mockery. “When the first baby laughed for the first time, the laugh broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies.” (That's from Peter Pan, by the by.) In every cheerful laugh, every mocking guffaw, let there be another fairy.

I hope to see a lot of fairies chasing in Jed’s wake as he flees our campus tomorrow.

Last edited by Vex Harrow on Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:11 pm; edited 4 times in total
Mark
Tourist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

who is this brother jed? even though I'm a mill rat I'm at a loss, dare I say even vexed by this man's description. what is he?
Vex Harrow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
who is this brother jed? even though I'm a mill rat I'm at a loss, dare I say even vexed by this man's description. what is he?

Brother Jed is a famous, traveling evangelical preacher. Basically, he is Tiamat to our corner preachers on Mill, making them look tame as kittens. He is a terrible and ugly force for ignorance and all the worst aspects of evangelical behavior.

But, of course, he throws himself to college students and gets batted around like a catnip mouse as a result.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brother_Jed
jorwyn
The Other Meow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being Winter here, we don't get street preachers much. Apparently their zeal does not outmatch their want for warmth.
Well, I daresay we don't get them here anyway.
Spokane does from time to time, absurdly placed on corners where foot traffic is incredibly rare. They shout out things that are mostly incoherent as you drive by, and carry signs that are generally impossible to read. I haven't lingered much. If I am in Spokane, it is usually on a mission, and therefor I have no time to stop and debate or laugh.
I should spend some time this Summer seeking them out. It might be fun to follow your example and watch the crowds.... Though I note they don't draw crowds here. There's a general apathy when it comes to things like that. We don't care what others do very often up here unless there's some personal trespass. That's a Northern Idaho way of life. We're tolerant, and I use that word in the sense of putting up with things we dislike... or maybe more like ignoring those things.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Praise Jesus!
peace through irony
Al

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always wanted to do a social experiment with Brother Jed, but he is so wrapped up in his belief I don't know what would happen if I tried. My basic belief in freedom of and From Religion, his basic right to rant nonviolently, has kind of kept me from doing something pathetic or cryptic around his personal space.

Maybe his behavior is an attempt at atonement for his own shortcomings. Maybe it is simply elitism. I have also wondered if this behavior might not be a shield against a deeper, crumbling sense of identity that can only prosper in the absence of reason and equality. (How the voice(s) in his head must own him.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mill Vexations Forum Index -> Vexations News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: