Mill
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Attempted exorcism goes wrong in Phoenix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mill Vexations Forum Index -> News and Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vex Harrow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Attempted exorcism goes wrong in Phoenix Reply with quote

File this one under "news of the weird," I guess, Exorcism Attempt Sparks Questions posted on KPHO.com:

Quote:
PHOENIX -- The questions about Ronald Marquez haven't stopped since police said officers burst into his sweltering cinderblock home and tried to stop a bloody exorcism of his granddaughter.

Police said Marquez had the 3-year-old in a headlock when they arrived Saturday morning.

A family member told them he was trying to "squeeze the demons out of the child." Police also found Marquez's 19-year-old daughter in the room, naked, covered with blood, holding a religious picture and chanting.

Officers shocked Marquez, 49, twice with Taser stun guns as they tried to pull the little girl away. He later died.
jorwyn
The Other Meow

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to find something to actually say about this.
Only flippant things come to mind, and even I have some tact.
Wow... just... What year is it?
I find it incredibly sad what people will do in the name of religion, in a misguided attempt to appease their almighty gods.
When are we going to learn that salvation comes from within?
Heretic Zed

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

God sent us Jesus to save our souls, for everything else, he created doctors.

As for this “Exorcism” I’d say it was more likely the man was seriously unbalanced and used religion as an excuse to act out his delusions. I mean, if the guy had been calling out to an imaginary flying pasta side dish people would just call him a nut and be done with it. The second an established religion comes in, somehow the religion takes on some of the blame by association alone.
jorwyn
The Other Meow

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no. I blame people.

I said 'what we do in the name of religion' not 'what our religions demand we do.' There's a large difference in those two statements.

I still think he's a nut. I don't care what his reasoning was. I know plenty of quite rational folk who are also religious.

I really can't see anything in the Christian religion that would have led someone to behave this way. I see many things that should have led him not to. He was just crazy. But... it is still an example of what crazy people do using religion as a reason. Without religion, I'm sure he'd have found another scapegoat... I'd be making the same comments about that scapegoat.
Kytsune
Our Elven Kin

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. A moment to myself!

I just added this particular tid-bit because it was from Phoenix, and right up the alley of something like Vexations. The concepts of demon possession and evil spirits have bedecked the annals of most of our history -- and still emerge hither and thither as superstition permits. Exorcism, however, I think we can thank mediaeval Catholicism for that particular addition. Not that I blame them, they couldn't have readily stopped it since it's an emergent behavior from the thought that psychosis is caused by demons and demons can be gotten rid of.

This news item was particularly stereotypical, in fact, since it happened to be a Mexican family that suffered the consequences. See Hellblazer anyone? Arizona it's going to be the ultra-poor religious Mexican population picked up by the news, especially when they do something strange.

I don't always enjoy things to this effect happening, but they make interesting focus for writing. Primarily because this behavior is considered highly stereotypical among the impoverished society in Phoenix.

Sadly, a war of immigration and illegal immigration is happening in the border states and it only tends to fuel resentment on both sides. Of course, I'd posted this story long before I was aware of the huge groundswell of animosity over immigrants (see: Sheriff Joe Arpio.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mill Vexations Forum Index -> News and Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: