Mill
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

All Saints Catholic Newman Center to Build ASU Dorm Towers
Topic Tags:

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vex Harrow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: All Saints Catholic Newman Center to Build ASU Dorm Towers Reply with quote

An interesting little story has cropped up out of the ether of the Internet about the All Saints Catholic Newman Center’s plans to build a student dormitory.

People may already be aware of this small parish on the outskirts of ASU campus proper, on University near Mill Ave, and I happen to know some people who go there. In fact, I know some of the priests from another life – it’s strange that I never see any of them on the Ave – but c’est la vie I suppose.

I found an article from the Associated Press and further information on the Phoenix Loft Network forums (including images) but nothing altogether too compelling.

he Roman Catholic Diocese in Phoenix plans to develop a 22-story building on the Arizona State University campus that will be used for student housing. The planned development, being called All Saints Newman Center Student Housing, will be built on the site of the existing Newman Center. The historic Old St. Mary’s Church, which is part of the current development, will be preserved.

The images on the Loft Network forums are certainly interesting. With the building that is currently the Newman Center being modified to look a lot more modern, but keeping the St. Mary’s chapel as is (which is something of a landmark now, anyway.) Also, the tower looming there, glinting with glass. It would certainly look a lot more like current development with that sort of architecture.

I suppose they’re looking to make money? If they’re going to submit to be dormitories for ASU they will have to open them up to any comers who can afford them – at least, I can assume so for open housing and student housing necessity. Some of the questions on the Associated Press article suggest that people wonder if there will be restrictions on who can live there by religion, which I see running quickly afoul of fair housing laws and common hospitality in general.

We will see where these are going to end up going, I suppose.

Last edited by Vex Harrow on Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark
Tourist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like the newman center is joining the highrise craze. it will be interesting to see if they restrict housing and where that gets them. I guess they will have to hold all they're services in the old church instead of the other building like the services that I've gone to. yes it's true I have attended mass there but only on like two occasions, wasn't really my scene there. though I had high hopes after meeting one of the fathers then I found it to have all the failings of any other church so I stopped going almost as soon as I started.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mill Vexations Forum Index -> Vexations News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: