Mill
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

A dinosaur, perhaps, but still the jewel of Mill Ave

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vex Harrow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: A dinosaur, perhaps, but still the jewel of Mill Ave Reply with quote

Unlike the author of the article that I’m about to cite, I don’t think that the old mill is a misfit when it comes to Mill Ave. If anything, it’s become a misfit due to sheer anachronism—Mill Avenue has seen so many revisions and variation that it no longer has a continuity of even architecture.

Walking from one end to the other is a study in differential styles from the glass-and-steel Chase building and the Brickyard; through the attempts to generate a classic style down the red bricks; past La Casa Vieja’s stucco; and finally into the poorly fashioned glass nuveau structures along the fake lakefront.

Clare Hahne of Webdevil calls the mill, “Tempe’s Dinosaur,”

A Connecticut native, Hayden traveled to Arizona around the 1850s where he founded a freighting business (moving items around by wagon or boat) to offer supplies, including equipment, tools and food to various establishments, says Jared Smith, curator of history at the Tempe History Museum.

Hayden, who is credited with founding Tempe, was away on a business trip to Fort Whipple where present day Prescott is when he got held up by high water levels in the Salt River, forcing him to camp there for a couple of days.

“The story, as it goes, is that Hayden used some of that time to climb a Tempe butte and had an epiphany of the areas potential,” Smith says.

If you look at the URL, the title was intentionally or accidentally misspelled “dinasour.”

It’s about time the city did some sort of restoration effort on the old mill.
Granted, I don’t think that we have the money for that, but it’s an excellent place for a museum to communicate the Ave itself and all the changes and fashions it’s seen.

All I’ve got is the wage of days through the windows of my cab, and all the stories that means I get to tell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mill Vexations Forum Index -> Vexations News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: