Mill
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

A bit more about myself
Topic Tags:

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dreadlord
Tourist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:56 am    Post subject: A bit more about myself Reply with quote

Vsem privet! (Hello everybody!)

Actually, I found these stories by accident. Accidents and coincidences sometimes rule our life, no matter what we desire...
I was browsing the web, looking for Gothic pictures. I found many of them on DeviantArt. I was greatly impressed by drawings of QuantumSuz, and one of her pictures was a design of book cover.
This one, it was titled "Vex Harrow" and was told to be a cover for Mill Avenue Vexations:

I googled for this title and it brought me here.
Right now I've finished first and second volume, the book gives me a lot of relief from the everyday problems (it also allows me to sharpen my English Smile)

If you want to know more about myself - here's some information:
My name is Alexei, I am from a small town near Moscow.
I am almost 17 (will be on 29th of December). Recently became a Goth.
Right now I am a first-year student (I believe it is called "freshman" in America), I study at the faculty of foreign languages (English for now), and my specialty is interpreting and translation (I got the idea of translating Vexations into Russian, although I am quite busy with my exams and so this is only an idea...)
Kytsune
Our Elven Kin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes! That’s going to be the cover for Volume 7. Which is next. First, though, I think that I’ll be publishing a construction in Tempe tribute called Cranes. The cover artwork for that isn’t fully done, and it hasn’t been properly edited so … we’ll see that come about soon, hopefully.

Gothic sub-culture has always fascinated me, especially the contemporary take on the whole shebang. A marriage of the outtakes of industrial, electronic thunder and old sensibilities of dress and rhythm—old styles, dark souls for a harsh reality, deep emotions, but all tempered with the certainty of touch and steel. The modern fashions are all beautiful. I try to reflect this as much as I can with Vexations.

While I do a lot of time attempting to develop the urban landscape of Phoenix, I like to also include Vex’s sensibilities about the nature of her own style. “Street magick after dark.”

I may not incorporate contemporary vampires, werewolves, zombies, or other horror elements strongly tied to Gothic literature into the Vexations storyline, but I will probably have people/things that represent them closely. I want the atmosphere of the story to be sinister, but – at least for these beginning volumes – it’s human evil that exceeds the supernatural.

I am glad to know that the story has allowed thee some suspension of time. I myself read to dismiss the stresses of the day.

If thou choose to translate the story into Russian – thou may do so with my permission! I’ll even make an e-book out of whatever thou choose to create, with translation credits and everything. I know very little Russian myself (except for as proto-Russian languages for my linguistics studies.) Plus, I wouldn’t mind to know what people from Russia think of the arid, cactus laden desert that is Arizona.
Dreadlord
Tourist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always liked Gothic music, literature, and the things that are connected with Goths. However, only a couple of months ago I felt something like a dark revelation which completely turned me on their side.

There is still much to learn in my new lifestyle, and your book may be helpful here as well Cool

Quote:
I may not incorporate contemporary vampires, werewolves, zombies, or other horror elements strongly tied to Gothic literature into the Vexations storyline, but I will probably have people/things that represent them closely. I want the atmosphere of the story to be sinister, but – at least for these beginning volumes – it’s human evil that exceeds the supernatural.

Some supernatural wouldn't be too odd for the book. If we have magic and occult rituals here - why not add something even more alien to this realm? Twisted Evil

The atmosphere of the first and the second volumes is very sinister, indeed! Especially how those would-be magicians were scared off by what they invoked. Twisted Evil

There is only one problem I got so far - Vex's story is about Mill Avenue, and even such powerful tool like the Internet cannot give me the insight on the people and places described here. I found some things I could, as well as some info from the book itself, but it is of course not enough...

And, about the translation... I seriously think about this idea (it would be a nice practice for me), but I can begin only in January, when my exams at the university will be passed successfully...
jorwyn
The Other Meow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Hihi! Reply with quote

Welcome, Dreadlord.

Even if I can't read Russian, I'd love to see a translation of Vex into it! That would be so neat!

I think it's neat how you stumbled in here. Deviantart is a great place for publicity, I guess. =)

Thanks for coming!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mill Vexations Forum Index -> Introductions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: